Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Manager
Skateistan is looking for an enthusiastic individual with a passion for nonprofit work and interest in skateboarding or action sports, to join our award-winning organization as Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager. The role will oversee and develop Skateistan’s MEL systems from our Berlin international office, as well as the training of local staff across Afghanistan, Cambodia, and South Africa both remotely and on-site.
The successful candidate will have at least three years of relevant work experience, ideally for a nonprofit organization in the Sport for Development sector. They will also have an excellent eye for detail, be a positive and enthusiastic team player, and have proven ability working effectively across different cultures. The role reports indirectly to the Development Director to help create monitoring plans for grant applications and reports, and directly to the Programs Director to ensure program outcomes and indicators are accurately monitored and evaluated, and that lessons learned are fed back into ongoing and future programming.
The initial contract will be for 12 months with possibility of renewal, and will be based at Skateistan’s head office in Berlin, Germany. Travel to all of Skateistan’s schools in Afghanistan, Cambodia, and South Africa may be required throughout the year.
Position Core Responsibilities:
- Management, oversight and maintenance of the Skateistan’s MEL system, ensuring it captures the necessary data to demonstrate the impact of the organization’s programs, and also to inform decision-making about the organization’s short and long term programming objectives
- Monitoring, measuring and reporting the progress of programs and projects against set timelines and milestones; ensuring MEL is in line with donor expectations and current best practice in the youth development, Sport for Development, and community development sectors
- Convey key messages and successes from program activities to the Programs Director and Development Director
- Support grant-writing and proposals to potential donors by providing input on monitoring plans and providing necessary information for donor reporting
- Work with external consultants (especially IT and Salesforce experts) to ensure the organization's system runs smoothly and efficiently
- Train local positions in data collection methods and MEL processes
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
Minimum professional and academic experience
- 3 years relevant experience
- Graduate of International Development, Statistics, or related degree program
- Proficient in Excel and Word
- Native-level English speaker
- Ability to work effectively across cultures
- ‘Can do’ attitude
- Self motivated
- Excellent time management and general organization
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong eye for detail
- Experience working for a nonprofit organization
- Experience working in Sport for Development
- Experience in database management and development, ideally Salesforce
The MEL Manager is a full-time paid position beginning in October-November 2017, and includes monthly salary and benefits (paid vacation, medical insurance, work related flights, in-country accommodation).
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘MEL Manager’.
The deadline to apply for this position is September 8th. Interviews will take place from September 18th.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.